WHY IS BALANCED NUTRITION IMPORTANT?
Balanced nutrition means ensuring that children get all the essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients with the food.
The food your children eat now can have a major impact on their well-being throughout their lives. Ensuring that food contains key nutrients helps children build a strong immune system. Good nutrition is also one of the main pillars of children’s mental and physical health.
Some of the most important nutrients are:
- Calcium and Vitamin D: Essential for the normal growth and development of bones in children.
- Iron: Supports cognitive development
- Vitamin D: supports the immune system
To ensure that your child has healthy meal options at our center, woo-hoo! has partnered with Nyum. The dishes are available to order directly from our restaurant. Nyum offers premium Kiddies Meals that are made with the highest quality ingredients. Every dish has hidden veggies incorporated into classic favourites that children love. The homemade taste ensures that you sneak in essential greens & proteins, while Nyum’s food preparation techniques ensure the preservation of key nutrients.
WHAT IS A BALANCED DIET?
A balanced diet stands for variety and focuses on the quality nutritious value of the food. Overall, the diet of a child should include:
- Plenty of vegetables with an addition of less fruit
- Whole Grain complex carbs (brown rice, whole grain bread, and whole grain pasta)
- High-calcium foods (eggs, lean dairy, soy products)
- Lean meat and fish (especially oily fish)
- Nuts and seeds
HOW CAN I ENCOURAGE MY CHILD TO EAT A BALANCED DIET?
Parents shouldn’t forget that children aren’t born with cravings for candy, pizza with fries, and an aversion towards vegetables. Their taste and habits are formed over time, depending on the food they are exposed to. You can show them that tasty food can be a fun lifestyle!
Here are our top tips on introducing healthy eating habits:
- Fruits and vegetables of different colors contain different nutrients. Brighten up each plate with colors to add more vitamins to the food.
- Be the role model. Children notice and emulate what parents do. Eating habits are no exception.
- Make healthy food look fun by cutting it into various shapes. Eating vegetables can become a game!
- Expand your child’s palette by letting him/her experiment with flavours & textures they like. Having variety creates a better understanding of food.
- Children love making their own decisions, so let them decide among the food groups they crave today.
- Involve the little ones in food planning, shopping & preparation. Teach them everything you know and bond over these activities.
Nyum meals are available at the woo-hoo! cafe, the Nest. We always encourage our little guests to have healthy, well-balanced meals and look at every way to make it satisfying for them too. woo-hoo! is a state-of-the-art children’s museum with 10 different galleries with over 50 exhibits. Click here to get the location link on Google Maps.